Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Do I need to bring my insurance card?
    Yes. A new insurance requirement effective January 1, 2016 states that insurance information must be provided at the time of registration renewal, title transfer or application for a new Minnesota title or registration.
  2. Can I renew my driver's license at your location?
    Unfortunately we cannot renew driver's license here. We do not have the equipment to take your picture. You can visit the Mantorville or Rochester locations to renew your license.
  3. How much does it cost to transfer my title?
    It depends on how much you purchased it for and the age of the vehicle. The average cost for a vehicle purchased for under $3000 and is 10 years old or older is $45.00.
  4. How much does it cost to order a duplicate title?
  5. What is the $10-$20 wheelage tax?
    The wheelage tax is money that goes to the county you live in to maintain roads and bridges.
  6. What is the difference between intrastate and interstate for my CDL?
    Intrastate means you can only drive in the state. Interstate means you can go across state lines.
  7. My spouse or family member passed away.  What do I need to sell their vehicle?
    You need the vehicle title, death certificate or published obituary, Power of Attorney, and to fill out a Surviving Spouse form.
  8. How to I check on my license status or application, renew tabs or schedule a road test?
    To check your license status or license application, renew or check on tabs or title processing, schedule a road test, report a sold/junked/donated vehicle, view driver's manuals and more, contact the Minnesota Department of Public Safety in St. Paul at 651-201-7000 from 8 am - 4 pm Monday - Friday.